Saturday, October 13, 2012

2 Weeks On Continent

Today marks 2 weeks I have been on Continent. The following are my observations.
  • We all look pretty much the same when we are outside. All of us have our Big Red parkas with the fur hood. When it is blowing snow all of us have our hoods up and are bundled up like the kid in a Christmas Story. I can't tell a man from a woman let alone if it is anyone I know!
  • The food overall, is pretty good...except for the breakfasts. I stood in the "Egg Line" the other day hoping that an egg white omelet with mushrooms, onions and peppers would be better than the other breakfasts I've eaten while here and was sadly disappointed. It had a faint taste of fish. YUCK! On the other hand, the prime rib with scalloped potatoes and asparagus last Friday evening was fantastic!
  • There are no trees here. There are no bugs here. (And that's a good thing!) I miss hearing birds.
  • People like to drink alcohol here. There are 2 bars, Gallagher's and Southern Exposure and both are open Tuesday thru Saturday 1900 to 2300 and Sunday 1800 to 2200. And there is a "Day Bar" at Southern Exposure on Tuesday, Thursday and Staurdays from 0700 to 1100. I would think with so many other things to do here that maybe, just maybe people could go to the gym, take a spin class, play volleyball or basketball, go to the coffee house, hang out in a dorm lounge and play pool or watch a movie, volunteer at the radio station, go to a science lecture or present a travelogue, to name a few things.
  • The coffee house has free coffee drinks!! Capuccino, Latte, Americano, etc. It's free! And on most nights around 1900 or 1930 they show a movie in the attached movie house! It is my favorite place to go!!
  • There are no flowers or grass or anything that grows on land here so that means there are no pleasant smells. In fact, there are no smells at all outside.
  • It stays light for 24 hours. Like now. It is 0100 and it is still light outside! It looks like dusk but it is still light! Very Freaky!
  • Firemen are the same EVERYWHERE! Though I have to say, thy have taken good care of me. They give me breaks and let me eat with them at the dining area and have invited me to....the bar!!
  • Snow might as well be sand. It is all over the place! And speaking of snow, it is nicer over at Scott Base. There seems to be more of it and it is cleaner and fluffier.
  • On TV is whatever the Armed Forces Network decides to show. I wish I had an "in" with someone so I could watch more Bears games!

No comments:

Post a Comment