Friday, December 7, 2012

The Transitition

I am writing this from the Coffee House - my favorite place in town down here! It is 8:45 am on Saturday 12/08/2012 and I have the day off! I got off work yesterday morning at &;30 am and am going to DAY SHIFT!! I am more than a little happy about that! I don't mind working all night or even sleeping durning the day - it is ALWAYS daylight here so that doesn't play into things. What does make me unhappy is that I like to go to the science lectures. They are on Sunday and Wednesday nights and usually start at 8 or 8:15 pm and I never get to stay for the whole lecture as I have to leave at 9 ish to go to work. Now I will be able to stay for the whole thing! YAY!! Speaking of science lectures, they are amazing! Last Sunday we had a lecture given by a Shuttle astronaut, Dr. Stanley Love and on Wednesday the lecture was about Europa, a moon of Jupiter and how it's made of of ice and resembles Antarctica. OthersI have been to included WAIS Divide Drilling Project, Weddell Seals,  and  the Ecology of Antarctica after all the dumping the military did through the years. I'm such a geek!


So the "Transition". I was up every hour on the hour last night. No surprise since I've been on Graves for 3 months and then trying to force my body to sleep when it is not used to doing so at that time. I only slept 5 hours yesterday when I got home thinking I'd be tired enough to sleep in the evening. I even went out for an hour and a half last night to the...bar. WHAT?! The Geek went to the bar?! It was one of the Captain's birthday and the guys are constantly asking me to meet them there so I broke down and went last night. I did get to meet and talk with the scientist who gave the lecture on Europa and she was thrilled that a non- "Beeker" was at her lecture! Anyway, I got there at 8:30 and left at 10 and drank 2 Diet Cokes - with caffeine so I'm sure that didn't help things. So I have been up since 6 am doing things...like laundry and the gym and some Christmas decorating of my room. Oh and speaking of my room, my roommate left for the South Pole for 5 weeks so I am again roommate-less. It has been nice having the place to myself for a couple of days and I am stressed out as to who (or what) I may get. At least I am on day shift and will not have to worry about trying to sleep when the roommate is off work on the weekend. I hope I can sleep tonight as I have to be at work at 7:30am tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment