Merry Christmas! I have been asked many times why I like going to Antarctica. Why would anyone want to be subjected to the biting cold wind and the months being away from family and friends? And why in the world would anyone want to work 56 hours a week with no holiday or sick pay? I know, it seems crazy and honestly it probably is. I find it to be refreshing. It is different...the environment and the people. It's almost like it recharges my batteries for lack of any other way of saying it. We have some of the most amazing and talented people in the world here washing pots! They have PhD's, the Rec coordinator is an Oncologist; teachers are working in stockrooms and sorting garbage. Yet we are all the same. We share the same living conditions, including the food (blech) and we get along. There is genuine love and caring for each other. We hug each other. When was the last time you hugged a co-worker? How about one that you've only known for 2 months? Everything about this place is unique. That is not to say that I don't miss home because I really, really do. Especially this time of year. I guess I am saying that if I am going to be away from home, at least I am with a great group of people! I can't wait to come home and hug each and every one of you. But in the meantime, please take care of each other. Hug each other and be sincere and honest. The rest of the world seems a little crazy right now. Be careful out there. I miss all of you.
I went to Christmas Eve church and Mass last night. It was wonderful! The choir sang carols and we sang along with them! Then we went to the VMF Christmas party and that was a lot of fun! Merry Christmas everyone in CONUS! May God bless all of you and keep you healthy and safe!
No comments:
Post a Comment