Thursday, November 5, 2015

Band Practice, the Crud and Other Things

I have been here 4 weeks, almost to the day. I think I’ve taken maybe 10 pictures. For those of you who know me, you know that that is very odd. in seasons past I’ve already taken at least an 8G card full of pictures. Not so far this time. Maybe its because I've been working a lot. Maybe its because most of the stuff I would've taken pictures of is just “old hat” to me. A sort of a been-there-done-that deal. Maybe it’s a little of both! This next month I will work on taking more pictures. I went out to Hut Point last night and saw some seals. There's some pictures below.

During this month here I’ve managed to dodge getting sick or getting the McMurdo Crud. That is until a few days ago. I have the coughing, sneezing, wish I could sleep head cold that everyone else seems to have. All it takes is one person. One person to come from the States and board that plane in Christchurch bound for McMurdo with a scratchy throat and that’s it. It spreads like wildfire. We are a contained community highly susceptible to any foreign germs. That’s why we all have to have a flu shot in Christchurch even if we got one before we boarded the plane for Sydney. The “Flu Shot Nazi” stabs all of us without even speaking. Get in line, roll up your sleeve, BAM! Next! But the flu shot doesn’t protect against the Crud. And I have it. I’ve lasted longer than most by not getting it. My suite mate is on her second go around with it. It’s a virus. There is nothing that can be done for it except rest, drink plenty of fluids, wash your hands and take NyQuil at night and Mucinex during the day to try to get some relief. I’ve slept more in the past 2 days than I can remember. I think it’s working. Or maybe I am just hoping it is.


I’ve started playing drums in a band here! For those of you who don’t know, I played drums in junior high, high school and some after that. I was in Concert Band, Jazz Band and Orchestra. I was in the Marching Band. I played all the percussion instruments. And I had my own drum set. It’s been a good 30 years since I’ve done any serious drum playing but that changed a few weeks ago! I’ve joined a Fire Department band and am having a lot of fun! We are getting better (I think)! There’s even talk of playing at Ice Stock! See below for some photos! More to follow on this development! 

Sitting Behind a Drum Set Again!

Wes, Sissy and I at Band Practice. So far we do not have a name for our band. Any ideas?

Out at Hut Point at 10:00 PM

Weddel Seals at Hut Point

2 comments:

  1. Motley Crud! Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call it your band "The Penguins" or "3 degrees" .... Lol idk. Hope your having fun. -Brooke (I'll be commenting from my school email)

    ReplyDelete